Friday, March 14, 2008

Oreo Truffles

I've lived at my apartment for about six months, and my ambitions of becoming a baking/cooking fiend faded away after classes and projects began to overwhelm me last semester. This semester I'm only on 12 credits, and the only excuse I have is that I have not been able to go to the grocery store to gather ingredients for all the recipes I have in my Favorite Places folder.

This recipe caught my eye because it only needed three ingredients and looked simple enough with four steps. The name, Oreo Truffles, may have played a part in getting my interest--who doesn't like Oreos? The website claimed it took only 30 minutes for prep time and I was undeterred by the fact that I would have to crush the Oreos manually.


Two hours later, I found myself in a messy kitchen full of particulate Oreo matter and burnt pans from trying to melt the chocolate bark on the stove. I ended up microwaving the bark to prevent the scorching/discoloration. The initial batch of truffles was uneven and patchy after my attempt at dipping them in the white chocolate. I let them dry and dipped them again or dripped chocolate to fill in the patches, and they came out in a much more appetizing form.


They were pretty popular at the party I brought them to, but they were kind of rich and creamy for me.

Oreo Truffles
Recipe from here.

1 package Oreo cookies (Use cookie including the cream center)
1 8oz. package cream cheese (softened)
1 package of white chocolate bark (about 24 oz.)

1. Finely crush 2 cookies in a food processor or place them in a ziploc bag and crush into a fine consistency. Reserve for later.

2. Crush 36 cookies in a large ziploc and stir in softened cream cheese. Use the back of a large spoon to help mash the two together.

3. Roll the mixture into 1" balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet.

4. Melt chocolate as directed on the package and then dip balls into chocolate, tap off extra and set aside on wax paper covered cookie sheet to dry. Dust the tops with the 2 crushed cookies for decoration or add sprinkles of your choice.

5. Once dry, refrigerate and enjoy!

Makes about 36 truffles.

9 comments:

Elle said...

Those look fantastic! Who doesn't love Oreo's?

Chef John said...

may i use your photo and recipe on my blogs? i will credit you of course. ty!

Alison said...

love it!

skoraq cooks said...

Don't shoot but I'm not a big fan or oreo cookies. I don't hate them but they are not my favourite thing on the menu. But those oreo truffles look delicious.

Anonymous said...

I tried the oreo truffles this past weekend (mint) and also found them to be a bit more complicated than the recipe let on, including the chocolate dipping part. I melted my chocolate in the microwave and used some green food color paste and ended up using a small offset spatula and pouring the melted chocolate over them. Without a food processor to do your cookie smashing for you, I would add another 10 minutes prep time and a good amount more of elbow grease to the recipe. HOWEVER, they were SOOOOO worth it and I'm making more this week for a bake sale...

Chef John said...

Thanks for the comment! BTW, what brand of white chocolate was that? Im not sure I've seen WC "bark"

Jill@SimpleDailyRecipes.com said...

I made tons of these a few years back, when Oreo made the Coffee Creme filling...oh they were AWESOME!

The best way to eat these is to use the Peanut Butter Oreos and dip them in melted semi-sweet chocolate chips.
They are not near as rich.

I made $350 bucks, in one day, selling them in boxes of 12 for Valentines at my son's school. Easy money.

Collegiate Baker said...

Aww - you're so cute...KAP. By the way, if you're looking at this post and considering making these as a treat, I'm KAP's roommate and they were AMAZING! Explosion of oreo tastiness in your mouth. I highly recommend them.

Unknown said...

Your webpage is simply definitely one of the very best . As a whole perception of the website is actually magnificent .
Atlanta Locksmiths