Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fruit Tart, Attempt No. 1

I am a huge fan of Whole Foods' fruit tarts, and I always wanted to create my own but had not tried because I didn't have a tart pan with a removable bottom. Kind of a weird excuse, but I think the real reason was because it seemed like a lot of work.

I finally trekked to Bed Bath and Beyond with my 20% coupon and purchased the proper pan. Searching Recipezaar and AllRecipes did not yield any promising recipes for fruit tarts, but checking Food Network was surprisingly useful. I wanted something delicious and easy to make. I had my hesitations when I found Paula Deen's recipe and thought it would call for 5 pounds of butter. Then I saw the 5 star rating after 133 reviews and decided that it must be pretty good.



I was worried the crust would not turn out because I don't have a food processor. I used a pastry cutter and I think that gave me more control over the consistency of the crust than a food processor would. I added a lot more cornstarch to the glaze than the recipe called for because the lime concentrate was so thin. Next time I will try a custard filling instead of the cream cheese filling.

Photo is pretty meh so I'll do a real entry and submit to tastespotting if Fruit Tart, Attempt No. 2 turns out better.

No comments: